The University of Melbourne
South Room at the Woodward Conference Centre
1-100 Grattan Street, Parkville VIC 3010, Australia
As part of the Business Forum activities in Australia, the Business Briefing conference: WHY MEXICO? will take place in Melbourne University the 3rd of June.
Business Briefing: Why Mexico?
The Other Rising Economic Giant of the Asia-Pacific
Mexico is on the rise, bolstered by the Peña Nieto Government’s extensive program of economic reform and deep commitment to trade liberalisation. Joint participation in the G20, APEC, MIKTA and the Trans-Pacific Partnership all present opportunities to strengthen the economic partnership between Mexico and Australia.
In the context of Australia’s effort to penetrate global value chains, Mexico represents a globally significant opportunity. Mexico is Australia’s largest trading partner in Latin America. Moreover, the nation’s geographical location bordering North America makes it a significant strategic destination. It is on course to overtake China as the leading source of manufactured goods into the United States.
Major companies already have significant operations in Mexico. They will soon be joined by a new vanguard of companies seeking to benefit from recent energy reform that stands to transform FDI flows into Mexico. These companies will likely use the reform as a beachhead to develop interests across the resources and infrastructure sectors.
- Susan Elliot, Deputy Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International), The University of Melbourne
- Francisco González, CEO, PROMEXICO
- Fernando Hoyo, Deputy Director BANCOMEXT
- José Antonio Durán, Representative of COMCE
- Francisco Villa, VP Operations, Gruma Oceania (success story)
- Armando Álvarez, Ambassador of Mexico in Australia
- Adrienne Bonwick, President of ANZMEX México
- Víctor Del Río, President of ANZMEX Australia
If you are an ANZMEX member and wish to attend please send an email to Lucía López.